Getting into a bicycle accident can be a frightening and painful experience. You may be unsure what to do first or how to ensure that the parties liable for the accident that caused your injuries are held responsible for their actions. As a result, there are some important steps that you should take after you have been involved in a bike accident:
- Move off the road if you are able to do so. This will help avoid further injuries or damages.
- Contact police to make an accident report, even if you don’t believe that you are injured.
- Use your cell phone to take a picture of the damages to your bike, the vehicle involved in the collision, the license plate of the vehicle, and the accident scene in general. If you are too injured to take these steps, ask a witness or bystander to help you.
- Get contact information and insurance policy information from the driver of the vehicle. Again, enlist the help of a bystander if you are too injured to do so. Use your phone to take pictures of the at-fault driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Call 911 and wait for police to arrive so that you can make a police report. The officer should interview all parties involved and any witnesses. If the officer tickets the driver, it may give you an advantage in resolving your claim with the insurance company in the future. If your injuries prohibit you from waiting for the police to interview you, and an ambulance or family/friend take you to the emergency room, don’t fret. The police will more than likely seek your statement at the hospital, or a few days thereafter.
- Write down everything that you remember about the accident soon after the accident, while the memory is still fresh in your mind. Include as much information about the scene, weather conditions, and chain of events as possible.
- Keep track of any medical appointments or treatment that you receive, as well as bills for that treatment. You also should write down any symptoms that you have as a result of your injuries, when they occur, and how severe they are.
If you have suffered injuries while riding a bicycle, you may greatly benefit from calling us today and getting the advice that you need. Bonnici Law Group has the experience and knowledge that is invaluable when making a claim for compensation following a bicycle accident. When you need answers, contact Bonnici Law Group today at 619-259-5199. As we focus our efforts on bike-related personal injury cases, we know how to protect your rights and build a strong claim for compensation in your case.