The San Diego Police Department has begun conducting bicycle and pedestrian safety enforcement operations periodically. The emphasis of these operations is to reduce the number of motor vehicle collisions involving bicyclists and pedestrians. These accidents continue to increase as more and more individuals choose modes of transportation other than motor vehicles. In these types of accidents, injuries to bicyclists and pedestrians are more prevalent than to drivers or passengers in motor vehicles. Operations will focus on those areas in which these types of accidents have occurred most frequently.
During these operations, police will look for drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians who violate safety laws designed to protect others. For instance, the police may search for motorists who are executing unsafe driving maneuvers, such as speeding, making illegal turns, failing to stop at red lights and stop signs, and failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Likewise, the police may look for pedestrians who cross the street at locations other than marked crosswalks and intersections or fail to yield the right-of-way to drivers.
To protect bicyclists, drivers should observe the following safety tips:
- Share the road with bicyclists, especially by giving them at least three feet of room when passing.
- Look out for cyclists before opening your car doors or pulling out from parking spaces.
- Yield to bicyclists at intersections and as directed by traffic signs and signals.
- Watch out for bike riders when turning.
Likewise, to protect themselves and others, bicyclists can take the following precautions:
- Always comply with the law by wearing a properly fitted bicycle helmet.
- Obey the same rules of the road as drivers of motor vehicles.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Increase your visibility by wearing bright or fluorescent clothing and using a front light at night, as well as a rear red reflector.
If you have suffered injuries while riding a bicycle, you may greatly benefit from calling us today and getting the advice that you need. Bonnici Law Group has the experience and knowledge that is invaluable when making a claim for compensation following a bicycle accident. When you need answers, contact Bonnici Law Group today at 619-259-5199. As we focus our efforts on bike-related personal injury cases, we know how to protect your rights and build a strong claim for compensation in your case.